Placement Opportunity for Student, Jobseeker, or Pensioner:
Polish-speaking Research Assistant (unpaid)
- Are you a full-or part-time student, jobseeker, or a pensioner/retiree?
- Is your passion meeting people, discovering their stories, and making them heard?
- Do you speak and write Polish, and maybe even Russian?
- If you already have insights into the Polish community that would be of great help.
- Would you like to gain social research experience alongside trained Ethnographer in the context of urban diversity and ageing?
- Do you want to participate in a longer process of developing adequate support structures for isolated residents of Manchester that could help them improve their life situations?
Europia is offering a placement for a Research Assistant. You can be a student, job seeker, or retiree. You’ll be working with Kush Chottera, Executive Director of Europia and Dr Hannah Wadle, Social Anthropologist, on a research project about the situation of Polish residents in Manchester over the age of 50.
Your tasks will include:
– Finding interview partners through social media & arranging interview appointments
– Advertising the project-related survey on social media
– Accompanying the principal researcher to interviews, responsibility for forms and ethical approval, taking notes/ protocolling, image documentation
– Proofing and translation of surveys and interviews
– Helping to assemble, proof-read, layout and advertise the final research report
The project will run between November 2017 and March 2018. You’ll be working roughly one day a week, from the Europia office in Hulme, Manchester, from home, or travelling across Greater Manchester. If you are not based in Manchester, and live abroad (e.g. in Poland), you can apply for a long-distance placement.
Your time spent on the project will be rewarded with research experience. You’ll also have the rights to use the material that we co-produced for further academic research or for artwork. This is the beginning of a longer project, so the placement could also lead to further engagements if you are interested.
Please show your interest by sending a CV or Portfolio and short cover letter (in English or Polish) to: firstname.lastname@example.org . The application deadline is the 13th November 2017.