The six month project offers:
· A supported volunteer placement in an Oxfam shop. We ask people to commit to a minimum of 8 hours volunteering per week, for six months
· In-shop training in retail skills
· Six development workshops with other women from the project, on topics such as assertiveness, leadership and job and interview preparation (one per month)
· An independent qualified mentor to help women set and achieve personal goals (one 1.5hr meeting per month)
· Out of pocket expenses paid, including travel and childcare where appropriate
· A certificate showing the skills gained
To find out more, please contact Beth Powell, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0161 234 2944 or 07787744666
The project aims to enable women to:
· gain confidence, self esteem, and improved resilience.
· use their strengths and assets to improve their own financial situation.
· progress into employment, enterprise, education or volunteering pathways towards decent work.
· contribute to challenging and changing the structural barriers facing them and other women across the UK.
This is our second time running the project, building on the successes of our first pilot earlier this year! Women who took part in the pilot have said that they really valued the support the project offered, made new friends, gained valuable work experience, skills and access to references, and now feel more able to progress towards their goals.
The project was particularly helpful for women who wanted to get back into work after time out of work – needing to build up their confidence, self esteem, work experience and motivation again. Or women who were new to the UK, or hadn’t worked before. Refugees and Asylum Seekers are very welcome to apply.
Read more on Improving Women’s access to work and wages from Oxfam’s Website.